This morning I was doing an #IMMOOC tribal dance with a colleague at my school (Annick Rauch) who is also participating in the #IMMOOC (Innovator’s Mindset massive open online course). We weren’t really dancing, but rather going on about what a great learning experience the #IMMOOC has been and the risks we have taken as a result of being part of the group.
When I reflect on why it has been so great, or what has made it so great, I realize the following:
- We have been given a voice in the group.
- We have had a lot of choice throughout the course.
- We have been given autonomy throughout the course.
- We have networked far and wide and through a variety of platforms.
- We have built trust within the group which has provided a sense of psychological safety and has encouraged us to share stories and our beliefs.
- We have been encouraged and empowered.
- We have taken risks and stepped outside of our comfort zones.
- There has been dialogue and competitive collaboration.
- There has been so much reflection.
- The enthusiasm and energy of the group has been contagious.
- We have been encouraged to start where we are at.
- We have shared the experience with many learning leaders.
- We have been able to feel successful and therefore build confidence and competence.
- The group has been full of fountains (no drains)
- There has been a sense of empathy within the group.
- We have been problem-finders and problem-solvers together.
- We have created, created, created!
… and last but not least, like George, we are a group of Educators AND learners by passion. If we can provide the above for our teachers and students, they can be too!